Thursday, December 24, 2009

Waffle Mix

1¼ c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all purpose flour
¾ c. nonfat dry milk*
¼ c. ground flaxseed
2 T. egg white powder
4 tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. Splenda or sugar
½ tsp. salt

Measure all into bowl and whisk together blending well. Store in tightly sealed baggie or container.

To make waffles, beat together the following and blend into mix:

2¾ c. water
½ c. oil

Bake on hot waffle iron. I get 14 5-inch squares out of the batch.

I have always liked waffles better than pancakes, because they are crispier. This is my adaptation of a basic waffle recipe. I liked this recipe because it did not call for beating egg whites separately and folding them into the batter. It is just mix up and go! I was just experimenting with it when I came up with the idea of using part whole wheat flour and then ground flaxseed as part of the oil. I think it makes them a little healthier. Of course, my topping my baked waffle with peanut butter and syrup may contradict that. (Kind of like that Diet Coke with the burger and fries.) When I mentioned to Elizabeth that I decided my recipe could be made into a mix that could be made ahead and then just the liquid ingredients added, she immediately asked if Santa could bring her a batch in her stocking. It's waiting for you now, Elizabeth, Santa forgot to bring it to our early Christmas on Tuesday. The batch I made this morning turned out yummy, even if I do say so myself! Merry Christmas!

* Note: If you don't have nonfat dry milk, you can omit this and use 2¼ c. milk when mixing up batter with ½ c. oil and ¼ c. water.

05/01/10: Had the opportunity to use the mix I made up with nonfat dry milk on 04/01/10 (stored it in a baggie with directions to add oil and water). They turned out perfect!

2 comments:

  1. If you can't find egg white powder, how many eggs should you add when you make the waffles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Elizabeth, I just now discovered the "check comments" button. If no egg white powder is available, add 2 eggs (or 1/4 c. egg substitute) and decrease the water by 6 T.

    ReplyDelete