Thursday, August 19, 2010

Two Ribbon Winners!

Hi Friends! The 2010 Kentucky State Fair was held from August 19th to August 19th this year. I entered 13 items in the regular fair culinary contests. Entries had to be turned in no later than Monday (08/16) by 5:00 p.m., to be judged on Tuesday, displays set up on Wednesday for the opening on Thursday. On the first day of the fair, Elizabeth and I searched all the shelves for all my entries. Out of the 13,I had 2 Second Place (red ribbon) winners!

One was the Sour Cream Corn Muffins I had entered in 2008 for which I had won a second place ribbon. I figured I would try for First Place with them. However, it was Monday morning, August 16th and they had to be turned in that afternoon, and when I went to make them, I discovered I did not have any Self-Rising Corn Meal. So I ran up to Big Lots and bought a box of Corn Muffin Mix to use. I'm not sure if my mistake was buying the mix there, or in using the mix itself instead of Self-Rising Corn Meal. Anyway, they really did not turn out to be very pretty - tops were rather flat instead of the nice rounded tops muffins are supposed to have! At first I wasn't going to take them, but why not - they were made, so I packaged them up to take. Imagine my surprise to find a ribbon on them!

The other winner was Pralines. I will direct you to that entry for "the rest of the story."

No comments:

Post a Comment