Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sour Cream Cornbread/Muffins

For Cornbread:

2 eggs, slightly beaten
½ c. oil
½ c. cream style corn
1 c. sour cream
1 c. self-rising corn meal

Preheat oven to 425º and preheat 8 inch iron skillet. Mix eggs, oil, corn, and sour cream, mixing well. Stir in self-rising corn meal. Spoon into preheated, greased skillet and bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve. 8 servings.

For Muffins:

(Same ingredients as cornbread.)

Preheat oven to 425º and preheat muffin tins. Mix eggs, oil, corn, and sour cream, mixing well. Stir in self-rising corn meal. Spoon into preheated, greased muffin tins and bake until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes and remove from tins. Make 1 dozen.

Tonight there was a discussion of cornbread - southern vs Yankee - on Facebook between my daughter and her friends. This recipe for a very moist cornbread popped into my mind. I don't remember exactly where I got this recipe, it may have been a Southern Living Magazine. I believe I first tried it when living in Ft. Valley, Georgia, so that's over 30 years ago! I entered these in the Kentucky State Fair a couple years ago, and they took second. Hope you think they're winners, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment