Saturday, May 7, 2011

NOT “Derby Pie®”

6 eggs
1 T. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
¾ c. granulated sugar
¼ c. brown sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
½ c. (1 stick) butter, melted
1 c. chocolate chips
1 c. chopped pecans
2 - 9” unbaked pie shells

Beat 4 eggs, beat in the last 2. Add remaining ingredients, folding in chips and nuts last. Pour into pie shells and bake for 45 minutes at 350º. Serve hot topped with whipped cream.

Keep refrigerated, if made ahead. To reheat, put in oven at 400º 7 – 10 minutes. If frozen, puncture frozen filling with fork and pour 1 T. of bourbon into punctures and heat.

This was one of the first new recipes I acquired when we moved to this area in 1979, probably May of 1980. Lisa McCoy, now Lisa Gueltzow, was in my SSA training class and also was assigned to the Louisville District office when assignments were made. Lisa was just out of college, a tall (she says she's 5 feet 12 inches tall), beautiful blonde. I was 7 months pregnant with our Elizabeth. After they announced our names to the office, someone asked, who? and was told by one of our co-workers, "the tall girl and the pregnant woman." I always thought if I wrote a memoir of my days as a Claims Representative at the Social Security Administration that would be its title.

We cannot call this Derby Pie® because that name is trademarked by Kerns Kitchen, the originators of the pie. Also, for the record, true Derby Pie® has walnuts, not pecans, and, I believe, does have bourbon in it. However, this is really good and any recipe so easy that makes 2 pies is o.k. in my book! Had to put this in the blog today as it is indeed Derby Day here in Louisville and thus in Kentuckiana. I have a $2.00 bet on Mucho Macho Man to win, so here's hoping I'm a winner! Well, actually I already know I am a winner because I'm blessed with you as my readers!

1 comment: