Thursday, January 7, 2010

Baked Macaroni and Cheese-NYR -YY

1 pound dried pasta (any small tube shaped pasta (i.e. elbow, penne, cellentani, pipette, campenalle)
4-6 quarts water
2 T. salt

¼ cup corn starch
4 cups milk
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. white pepper (optional)
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1-2 cups: Your choice of corn flakes, garlic croutons, saltines, or cheese crackers,crushed

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray 3 quart casserole dish or 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.

Fill large pot with 4-6 quarts water. Bring to a boil; add pasta and salt. Boil 8 - 10 minutes or according to package directions until pasta is al dente (resists bite slightly). Drain.

While pasta is cooking, combine corn starch and milk in 2 or 2½ quart saucepan. Add salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir constantly, bringing to a boil. Continue stirring while bubbling for 1 minute or until very thick. Remove from heat. Stir in 3 c. cheese until melted. Add cooked pasta and stir well. Stir in remaining cheese and pour into casserole dish and sprinkle with 1 - 2 cups extra topping. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until brown.

***

I decided to try this dish and a friend had told me she had been very disapointed when she been at a holiday dinner to which someone had volunteered to bring Macaroni and Cheese and it was Kraft and not a home baked version. I had just seen this recipe in a "ACH Food Corporation" booklet, so I told her I would make it and give her some, since it made so much. Now it had said to blend all the cheese in until melted, but I wanted some little clumps of cheese to be evident in the macaroni, which is why I stirred some in just before pouring the mixture into the casserole.

Gary and I thought this was a little bland, despite using extra sharp cheddar and adding a couple pinches of cayenne. Someone asked me if I put mustard in my mac and cheese and, now that I think about it, that may be a good addition to this version. The suggested amount is 2 tablespoons for this size dish. My friend, to whom I gave a pan of this to, liked it, except for the cracker topping. Another change I would probably try is to sprinkle some of the cheese on top, or better yet, more cheese! So I will probably try again, but only do a half batch in a 8 x8 pan. All the measurements above will be easy to halve.

No comments:

Post a Comment